Monday, October 06, 2003

On Saturday afternoon, I went to see "School of Rock" with Jake. It was really entertaining and sweet-hearted. For two hours, it helped me forget a lot of the stuff that had been on my mind. I guess that's one of those things that films can do.

God bless "escapist cinema" and its patron saints, Spielberg and Zemeckis.

Truth be told, however, there isn't enough "escapist cinema" going on these days. There's certainly mindless blockbusters everywhere, but "mindless" doesn't necesarily have to mean "soul-less."

I don't know. Movies like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" wanted nothing more than to entertain you. And it was earnest. And smart.

Everyday, I consider making "ET" my favorite movie of all-time. But I realize this is a major step for a cinephile, so I hold back until I'm completely sure. But still... the movie's amazing. It's one of the few honest portraits of childhood that I can think of. Kids talk like kids. And get pissed off like kids. And care like kids.

And there's so many great ideas running through it: Finding strength in yourself after others having disappointed you. Loneliness. Abandonment. Letting go of things you love because you know it's the right thing to do.

And despite all this, it's as inspiring as anything could be.

Hm. Maybe it is my favorite movie.














No comments: