Thursday, July 31, 2003

Stuff that's no longer funny to me:

1) Robots

This "alternative comedy" staple has, in my opinion, finally run its course. The first robot joke I came across was Ben Gargant of "The State" wearing a "Robots" t-shirt in 1994. That was nine years ago. Nothing is funny anymore after nine years. (Look out, 1994's "Flinstones" movie!) Don't get me wrong. Other folks can make their jokes about robots (with its implicit parodying of old-fashioned technological sensibilities), but as for me, I'm through with it. I have been for a few months now. I'm sooo over robots.

2) Jesus Christ

Imagine Jesus Christ doing something... that Jesus Christ would never do! That is every Jesus Christ joke you have ever heard. You see, it's funny because you're being irreverent towards a widely-established religious figure. Later, we'll poke fun at George W. Bush. And then perhaps the Backstreet Boys. Take that!

3) Mullets

Have you ever noticed how upscale, liberal white college kids are sensitive and progressively-minded towards society's downtrodden... except when it's impoverished whites? Usually, it's wrong to make fun of somebody's lack of money or education... but as long as they're white, it's acceptable. Of course, I'm not calling out for some racial leverage. I don't want the pendulum to swing the other way and make fun of all races or anything like that. It's just that I don't like this snobby detachment that middle-and-upper-class whites take towards their own race. For me, it's as if whites are suggesting that "white trash" are bad people - simply because they fail to achieve "what all whites deserve to have" (i.e. money, education, etc.). And in a way, I think that's a more dangerous racism than your average, run-of-the-mill "ignorant racism." So, yeah. Jokes about mullets and other "white trash" things are not only unfunny, they epitomize the hypocrisy of the priveldged liberal white kid.

These jokes aren't funny anymore.

-Morrisey


1 comment:

mjcorder said...

Wow. I don't remember why I googled "cheesy thumb guy" and how I got a post from your blog from 2003, but I couldn't agree more with why you no longer find these things funny. Now I feel like I'm surrounded by pricks.