Sunday, July 13, 2003

If you didn't know, since my return from California, I have not worked a single day of labor. Until August 9th (when I get back to Iowa City for RA training), I am willfully unemployed.

Today, I realized that this will be the last time in my life that I am in such a situation for a long while. After all, once college is finished in next May, I will need to get a job and eventually a career and that will last me until retirement (which is far, far away).

In other words, this is my last month of "no-work" freedom.

Needless to say, this frightens me. I hate working. I mean, I know nobody likes it, but seriously... work is the one thing that completely drains me of spirit. Depresses the hell out of me. Burdens me.

And I don't mean that in a lazy sense. I could be a student for the rest of my life and be happy. And I could keep myself busy with my interests forever. But work... goddamn. And the pay is no "pay-off." I haven't felt the desire for mass amounts of money to appreciate striving for it with a job.

I don't know. Maybe I'll find a job I love. I like the RA thing. I mean, I couldn't be that for the rest of my life or anything, but I enjoy it now - mainly because it isn't a "punch-in-and-spend-your-time-at-a-designated-area-for-an-alotted-amount-of-time" sort of job. And there's also some sort of value to knowing that you're influencing people with your job - instead of just making them ice cream and london broilers.

No comments: