Thursday, November 27, 2003

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm in my dorm room right now. I decided to not go home for Thanksgiving. It's 5-and-a-half hours away, so driving there sort of blows a holiday. And although I love my family dearly, I wanted to spend my holiday by myself and do stuff that personally satisfies me, which means editing my movie.

It's pretty peaceful. No one's in the dorms right now and I'm enjoying my time alone.

Last night, I went to "Bad Santa" with Michele. It disappointed me. I'm a pretty big fan of Terry Zwigoff's ("Crumb," "Ghost World"), but it wasn't nearly as good as those films. I don't know. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for misanthropy. Besides, that sort of misanthropy isn't my cup of tea in any case. I like the type that's bubbling under the surface rather than being flat-out and blatant.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Black comedy is an excellent genre, but most of the time, it's done wrong. I hate it when people think "black comedy" means just being mean-spirited - or even worse, focusing on explicitly dark subject matter (death, violence, etc.). For me, true black comedy is "The King of Comedy" or "Election." It's the ugly side of human personality and behavior.

After "Bad Santa," Michele and I watched "The Man Who Wasn't There." I wanted to see a great Billy Bob Thorton movie. And goddamn, it's so great. It ranks up there with "Fargo" and "The Hudsucker Proxy" as one of my favorite Coen brothers movies. Why do people like "The Big Lebowski" so much? Or "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I mean, they're good, but nothing to go nuts about.

This blog has been fiercely pissy towards things that don't share my own opinion. I am an open-minded individual!

No comments: