Thursday, September 25, 2003

When I was 7 years old, one of my favorite songs was "Parents Just Don't Understand" by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. I don't know why it spoke to me so much. At that age, I thought my parents understood me pretty well. Still do, actually.

Anyway, I recently downloaded and listened to it. I noticed some things I hadn't before. Like... as a kid, when I used to sing/rap along with it, I used to say, "in end of the blue" when Fresh Prince said, "inevitably." I WAS SUCH A STUPID 7 YEAR-OLD!

One of the highlights of downloading the song was that I found another version of it. It was Li'l Bow-Wow and some other junior rapper. Of course, since it was intended for kids in the 21st century, some changes had to be made. The whole section about picking up a 12 year-old runaway was inexcusably exercised. And instead of complaining how his mom bought him clothes from 1963, it's now... 1993. To me, this can only mean: "Jurassic Park" t-shirts and Z-Cavarichi jeans. And I don't know what the problem with that is.

So, yeah... I'm a little disappointed that the original song had to be changed. I'm sure, however, that it was inevitable.

Or in this case, "in end of the blue."

No comments: