Wednesday, September 17, 2003

In a few minutes, I'm going to see the documentary "Spellbound" for a second time. I saw it last June in San Francisco and it was incredible. From the first scene to the last, my eyes were all gooey with sad-juice. This isn't a sign of its quality or anything - it's great in addition to the fact that it had the ability to make me cry. But I don't know. It touched me for some unexplainable reason. Maybe it is its mix of optimism and heartbreak. That's quite a combination... and one you don't experience everyday.

It's funny. We were talking about "Spellbound" in my Advanced Video class last week and the instructor commented on how she had the same experience when she saw it. That was kind of neat. I like shared experiences that occur at separate times in separate spaces. It's probably one of the reasons that I like film in general.

For instance, last spring, I found out that my friend Chris and I both saw lady-boobs for the first time in the same movie (long before we ever knew each other). That movie? Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School," of course.

It is also notable for being the first movie I heard the f-word in. Ah, "Back to School" - thief of my innocence.

No comments: