Wednesday, March 03, 2004

I'm remembering an interview I read with award-winning "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World Part 2" director Peter Weir. He was discussing his film "Mosquito Coast" (which I've never seen) and he talked about the difference between protaganists in American films versus European films.

He mentioned how in American films, the protaganist is someone who starts off lowly, but has qualities that eventually make him a hero. However, in European films, the protaganist starts off as a hero, but his heroic qualities are eventually what unravel him into a failure.

You can guess which one I find more interesting. I think everything I've written follows the latter's path.

The only danger about this is... your characters become victims of their own virtues. And they end up looking like martyrs. And no one likes that, right?

Right?

My votes for "American Idol?"

It's a tie between Suzy and Jasmine!



No comments: