Monday, June 14, 2004

I read strangers' blogs. You find your way to them - you know, a "friend" of a "friend" of a "friend of." A few moments ago, I read a stranger's blog and in it, this girl mentioned: "I have an eclectic taste in music, and like a lot of different stuff - although chances are i don't know names or members of many of them."

Which reminded me...

A couple of summers ago, Scott (my sister Amy's boyfriend) and I were chatting about a band we both liked, Quasi. As these conversations tend to go, we began to throw around album titles and unreleased B-sides and "favorites lists" and whatnot. Soon enough, my sister interrupted and surmised: "That's boy talk."

Warning us first that this was a strong generalization, my sister went on to share a theory about how boys and girls appreciate things differently. Basically, boys appreciate things by memorizing every possible detail about them... and girls... well, girls... just like it.

She used the example of when she was growing up, all of her male friends (and from the ages of 2-6, her friends were primarily male) memorized the names of all of the "Star Wars" planets, spaceships, secondary characters, etc. She, however, showed her adoration differently. She just watched the movies and lovingly re-enacted them during play-time. WEIRD, HUH?!!!

But this distinction doesn't end at childhood though. Look at me. I can't just watch a movie. I have to know every possible fact about it (whether I appreciated the movie or not) - production information, release dates, cast and crew, all that. I've been like that since I was a li'l scrap. In third grade, I would play a game with people where they gave me a movie (any movie) and I could tell them what film company distributed it. Dead-on. Everytime. Nerd.

In any case, I think my sister has a point and although I am participating in the type of discussion I despise ("girls are like this and boys are like this"), I have to admit that I see it going on all the time.

Anyway. I am now going to watch "The Man Who Wasn't There." I like it a lot. This is how it falls in my "favorites list" of Coen Brothers' movies:

1. Fargo
2. The Man Who Wasn't There
3. Blood Simple
4. The Hudsucker Proxy
5. Barton Fink
6. The Big Lebowski
7. Intelorable Cruelty
8. Miller's Crossing
9. The Ladykillers
10. Raising Arizona
11. O, Brother, Where Art Thou?

No comments: