Tuesday, June 01, 2004

At 12am, my University of Iowa Webmail account officially ended.

I didn't know if I would still be able to access any old emails afterwards, so I decided to take precautions and forward emails (that I wanted to keep) to an alternate email account instead.

So, at 10:30pm, I had an hour-and-a-half to decide what emails I wanted for the rest of my life and which ones would be forgotten forever.

Yes. It was that big of a deal.

And in a way, I've been engaging in this sort of activity ever since I began preparing myself for the end of college. These last few months have been a constant struggle over deciding what to file and archive, so you can later remember and what to... regard as unimportant.

In the end, I mainly opted for keeping emails sent by former girlfriends. You know, so I could go back and re-read them and make myself feel bad/good/bad when the time was necessary.

And for some reason, I deleted any emails from people who wrote to tell me that they liked my play or enjoyed my movie or appreciated me as a friend.

Huh.


Somebody on IM tonight told me that they like my web-blog because it's one of the few that isn't a bummer. She said my weblog was like a buddy - the kind who says, "Come on, buddy, things are gonna' get better!" I liked hearing that comment.

Funny that I would write such a joyless blog entry so soon afterwards.

No comments: