Friday, June 24, 2005

The American Film Institute recently announced their list of top 100 quotes from U.S. movies. Although these lines are indeed "classic," the lines FOLLOWING the quotes are often just as great, but tragically forgotten. Here are the first 25 in their entirety:

1. Gone With the Wind, 1939
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn... or a shit."

2. The Godfather, 1972.
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse... one bag of aggies for his Bo Jackson rookie card. Bo knows a good deal when he sees one."

3. On the Waterfront, 1954.
"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am... why, I'm no better than that ol' Andy Kapp in the funny papers. From now on, just call me Marlon 'Andy Capp' Brando."

4. The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore... in fact, I think we're in that magical land of Oz."

5. Casablanca, 1942.
"Here's looking at you, kid... but in my own weird way, here's looking at ME, too."

6. Sudden Impact, 1983.
"Go ahead, make my day... by taking me to TCBY."

7. Sunset Blvd., 1950.
"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up... of YOUR butt."

8. Star Wars, 1977.
"May the Force be with you... and the Hershey bars with me! Yum, yum!"

9. All About Eve, 1950.
"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night... so make sure to fasten your seatbelts."

10. Taxi Driver, 1976.
"You talking to me? Or you talking to BEES? Cuz if you're talking to bees, you can take it outside, Honeycomb."

11. Cool Hand Luke, 1967.
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate... but fortunately, we still got the power to jokey-rap." (BEAT STARTS, RAP BEGINS) "Well, you're Cool Hand Luke and you're here to say: I likes to Luke in a cool hand way."

12. Apocalypse Now, 1979.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning... boy, I've sure become desensitized to the Vietnam War! Kinda makes you think, doesn't it? Not just about me, but America's realtionship to the war in general."

13. Love Story, 1970.
"Love means never having to say you're sorry... but it does mean putting the toilet seat down - am I right, ladies?!!"

14. The Maltese Falcon, 1941.
"The stuff that dreams are made of... y'know, like subconscious desires."

15. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, 1982.
"E.T. phone home... but YOU accept the charges, Elliot! I ain't no Donald E.T. Trump."

16. In the Heat of the Night, 1967.
"They call me Mister Tibbs! But you can call me Pauly Dangerfield."

17. Citizen Kane, 1941.
"Rosebud... hey, it's 1941! World War Two just started!"

18. White Heat, 1949.
"Made it, Ma! Top of the world! Next up? Branson!"

19. Network, 1976.
"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! So you can take this job and shove it, boss!"

20. Casablanca, 1942.
"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship... Louis, I want you to wear my class ring." ***

21. The Silence of the Lambs, 1991.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... but twas his butt that was most delicious!"

22. Dr. No, 1962.
"Bond. James Bond. That's right. My name is Bond James Bond."

23. The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
"There's no place like home... or for that matter, my second home: TCBY!"

24. Sunset Blvd., 1950.
"I am big! It's the pictures that got small... too small if you ask me."

25. Jerry Maguire, 1996.
"All these Maguires... and not enough Jerry to show for it."

*** NOTE: (joke ripped-off from "Evil Stepbrother" episode of Saved by the Bell)

No comments: