2006: A Survey For The New Millenium!
Third year of me doing this survey. Off we go!
1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
I snowboarded. The first two days were really tough, but the last two days were super-fun. This was back in January 2006 and I told myself, "See, Paul, it's good to try new things. Keep it up." It's now December 2006 and snowboarding has remained the only "new thing" I've tried all year. Oh, well. Snowboarding was fun.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I guess "trying new things" was sort of 2006's New Year's Resolution, so... no, I didn't keep that. My resolution for 2007? MORE SNOWBOARDING!!!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No. But by the looks of it, this question's answer will be three paragraphs long next year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. But by the looks of it, this question's answer will be three paragraphs long next year (psssst - I'm murdering all my friends and loved ones)
5. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (21 dollar signs)
6. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory?
April 14, 2006
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Neil and I selling show ideas
8. What was your biggest failure?
Neil and I not getting into the Aspen Comedy Festival.
9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yet another clean bill of health. My secret? Eating a lot of food that's bad for you and rarely exercising.
10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Earth, Fire, Water, all my Wiccan brothers and sisters
11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Air. Sometimes I wonder why we even praise you every fortnight!
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Not the Broadway musical, but for my apartment... which is located directly underneath the stage for "Rent," the Broadway musical.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Writing and performing
14. What song will always remind you of 2006?
"Common People" by Pulp
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier! Paul Rust: Increasingly Happier Since 2000.
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer! Paul Rust: Increasingly Poorer Since 2004.
16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Practicing my magic skills, so I can become a more responsible magician (particularly my skills at making audience volunteers disappear)
17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Sending that small child to Magic Land: Level 7 and not being able to bring him back
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Having fun with friends and family in LeMars, Iowa.
19. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Nope. Did America fall in love with Benji? Definitely!!!
20. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
THE BACKSTREET BOYS, N'SYNC, AND ALL THOSE ANNOYING BOY BANDS!!! SOMEBODY STOP THEM!!! PLEASE!!!!
21. What was your favorite TV program?
22. What was the best book you read?
Do all the Wikipedia entries on Oasis count as "a book?"
23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. Best album of the year. (Yes, snobs, I'm being serious)
24. What did you want and get?
Sexual intercourse - every single day, 365 days of the year.
25. What did you want and not get?
Acceptance into the "I'm Addicted to My Sex Robot" support group.
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Celebrated with friends at Chuck E. Cheese, then watched "The Garbage Pail Kids Movie." Quarter of a century.
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't know about "immeasurably," but it'd been nice to own a beagle.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
"Celtic Pride" (I wear the VHS around my neck on a chain)
30. What kept you sane?
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
Unfortunately, politics weren't discussed much in those Wikipedia entries on Oasis that I read
32. Who did you miss?
Friends and family not living in Los Angeles
33. Who was the best new person you met?
The fellas of Hendershaw
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Um, I'm just beginning to understand things I learned in 1996.