Monday, November 03, 2003

I'm in the computer lab of Becker Communications Building, waiting for 3:30pm to roll around. That's when I can pick up a mini-DV camera I reserved. You see, I have to check out University equipment since my camera is "in the shop" getting fixed. I'm supposed to be using school equipment for class-related projects (not my own personal movie), but we'll keep that a secret. Right? Or I'll tell everyone how you had to sleep with your parents for a week after you saw "The Howling 2."

I'm hoping to edit some more of "David Mows Yards" tonight. I showed a couple friends the first 22 minutes and they responded well (i.e. laughed and whatnot). I had some concerns regarding tone beforehand. I felt like it shifted in moods too quickly and seemed off-kilter. The strange thing is... that's what I often like about some movies (i.e. "Punch Drunk Love"), so I don't know why I wouldn't want it in mine. Maybe it's not appropriate or something. I don't know.

Well, the reason I already was in the Becker building was because... I just got done editing a project for Advanced Video. It had to be a "collage" piece - meaning it puts together different pieces of found footage. I used "Strong Kids, Safe Kids" (a video from the 1980's about prevention from child abduction and molestation), a copy of my Public Space One "Sex Night" performance, a home video of our 1990 family vacaction to Florida, and my first movie "The Single Man," which I made in 1992. In the end, the collage explores issues of performance, public humiliation, sexuality, and childhood. The ending falls a little flat, but all in all, I like it.

It's almost 3:30 now. We should all meet and check out equipment together.

No comments: