Wednesday, October 08, 2003

So, for awhile, I've been trying to write comedy sketches that are more "joyful" and "fun-loving." I don't know. Something that just gives you some sort of euphoria - like when I watch "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" or screwball comedies from the 30's.

Tall task... which could certainly not be done by me.

In the end, I just ended up writing comedy sketches about how you can't force things to happen - you know, kind of like how you can't write a "joyful" comedy sketch if you're not feeling particularly joyful.

Recently, I think I discovered why I've been struggling with this. It basically comes down to how I regard comedy at its core level. And that is?

The best form of comedy comes from a place of frustration. If something's bothering you and you want change, you write a comedy sketch about it. Anything else is soul-less and inconsequential. Silly. Bad.

As a result, I write comedy sketches that are pissy and frustrated and decidedly not joyful. But hopefully, in the end, I can find a way to write comedy with an idea that I feel is important and valuable - without it being gloomy. Because in the end... for me... I think the most difficult thing to write is something that expresses joy and gives people joy.

It's like... it's easy to write a song about how you're depressed and then make people depressed, but there's only a handful of songs that truly lift your spirits.

And these songs include "I Saw Her Standing There," "All I Want for Chirstmas is You," and "Red Red Robin." That's it.





No comments: